The most “famous line” that my clients say is, “I HAVE to shampoo my hair everyday, if I don’t it gets really greasy.” DING DING DING, you are CORRECT! The reason this happens is simple science.. Well not really science but here’s why! Shampoos are designed to cleanse your hair of dirt, oil, wax, hair products, and maybe some twigs if you #OptOutside. SO, shampooing your hair strips your hair of the natural oils your hair follicles create, called Sebum. Shampooing everyday strips more Sebum and your hair follicles start to OVER produce those oils, causing excess grease!
Once I tell a client this, I usually get a shoulder shrug and a response along the lines of “yeah I’ll try..” I know I know, its tricky to not wash your hair everyday. Yes, you will have a few greasy days. Yes, you’ll feel a little dirty the first time you don’t wash. Yes, you’ll have slight trouble trying to find a hairstyle that works WITH your grease. But, Im here to answer these problems!
I shampoo my hair every 4-5 days and I LOVE it. My hair color lasts longer, my hair feels more healthy, it is more conditioned, etc etc. It took me awhile to get here because I never really understood what a Co-Wash was. I hated the feeling of dry shampoo.. trust me, if you’re reading this and you wash your hair everyday, I was once like you. It’s okay to hop in the shower and just get your hair wet! Co-Wash, which I mentioned above, is where you only condition your hair! Yep, thats right, get in your shower and add some conditioner to those ends! This is AH-MAZING for people with waves or curls! The dirtier, the better. Adding conditioner just gives your ends more moisture to hang on to!
The first day of a shampoo I wear my hair straight, usually I can get two days out of straight hair. If I wake up with some hairs out of place I just pick up my straightener and straighten what I need to. The third day I curl my hair, beach waves, as is the new trend. The fourth day I do a top knot, or I do space buns. The fifth day is wash day. WASH AND REPEAT!
Listed above are a few pictures of how I wear my hair. I do have short hair so its a little bit easier for me to go a long time without washing. You will have to get yourself into a schedule, like mine, based on the hair you have and how much grease you can handle. It WILL absolutely take a few weeks to get used to your new hair routine. If you have to wash every other day – thats great! Thats a huge start. Slowly push yourself to see how many days you can stand your greasy hair! You will feel so rewarded once you don’t have to wash everyday. You’ll be thanking me in a month or so when you love your new hair routine! Curls also hold better with dirtier hair, and braids look more sculpted.
Some of my favorite second day products are the following:
- Kérastase V.I.P Volume In Powder. This stuff is to die for. It is a voluming hairspray that I absolutely love to spray all over my clients head after adding beach waves. It gives waves amazing texture and if you apply more to the root, you will get extra lift! This can be purchased at any L’Oreal Salon or Kerastate Carrier, or HERE!
- Unite Beach Day. Unite is a European based company that is completely sulfur, sulfate, and sodium FREE! Beach Day is a texturizing sea salt spray, it works best when your hair is damp – dry. So – for the curly heads I mentioned earlier, this would be ideal for you. Second day shower with no wash, spray in some Beach Day, scrunch, and you’re good to go! But if you want extra texture, spray in while dry and scrunch up the existing waves! You can purchase HERE!
- Kérastase Spray à Porter. My FAVORITEEEEE guys oh my goodness, I can’t get enough of this stuff. This spray paired with VIP, is the best remedy for fun texture. Spray on dry hair, you only need about 3-5 sprays and you’re all set! and you can purchase HERE!
- Aveda Shampure Dry Shampoo. This product give me life. No joke. When I worked for an Aveda based salon, this was absolutely my “go-to” product. Most dry shampoos have PROPANE in them, yes… propane. I definitely do not want that in my hair. This product is 99% natural derived from plants and flower extracts. The only thing that is not recyclable on this product is the cap! How crazy.. Anyways, rant over – This is the BEST dry shampoo product to not make your hair feel gritty/dirty. This product you can use to soak up excess oil by puffing (I guess it would be called puffing since its a powder and not a spray??) the powder onto the root of the hair. You want to hold this dry shampoo 2-3 inches away from the root when applying. You can also use this to add texture to second day hair! This is great for beach waves! You can purchase this on Aveda’s website here! They also give you 15% off your first order!
- Design.ME Puff Me. This product is a little more on the gritty side. It’s a great volumizer and great for soaking up excess oil, although this is NOT a dry shampoo it works in a similar way. Be careful, you don’t need a lot of this! Ask your stylist to purchase this one for you or get it on Loxa Beauty!
I encourage all of you to try out these remedies! If you have any questions feel free to leave comments or express your concerns through a message on my Facebook page!